Project4

Everything That's Spatical

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Cost of a College Education

For the last few days I've been checking out every college i've even considered going. I have added it up, and all i can say is Wow. I knew it would be expensive, but Wow.

It's not the tuition that's going to break you, between scholarships, grants, and financial aid I think most people could afford college, but the fees, dorm, and food are ridiculous.

Even state colleges must be making most of their money from dorms. For instance, one state college charges $1369 every quarter for a basic one room dorm per person. This does include local phone service, cable, high speed internet, a/c, communal showers,fitness and laundry rooms in the building. This breaks down to they're getting $913 per room each month. At least where I live this would be comparable to a pretty nice two bedroom apartment with all the same amenities. 1 room versus a whole apartment.hmmmm.

This by no means is a full and complete list of college costs, but I want everyone who may not be thinking about it to get a better picture. These are just low averages of public college costs if you are a state resident, per year. Try to keep in mind there is still insurance (medical and auto), entertainment, food you might want to have in your room, cost of doing laundry, personal care items, haircuts, computer, supplies and so much more.


Tuition 6000 Tuition 6000
Dorm 7000 Stay at home 0
Books 1200 Books 1200
Food 2700 VS. Food 0
Fees 600 Fees 600
Parking 260 Parking 260
Bus 270 Bus 0
___________ _____________
Total 18,030 Total 8,060 Savings $9,970 per year



Now I know it's soooo much kooler to leave home and say you're going away to college, but I'm not sure how good I'll be at doing my own laundry, sharing a limited amount of space with someone else, and basically sacrificing all the comforts of home. Not to mention saving about $40,000 + over four years. That would mean I could possibly not have to work if i didn't want to, concentrate better on my college education, spend more on other things I want like traveling, more easily afford spending a year or two studying abroad, and generally just having a lot more cash in my pocket.

I'm still a couple years away from having to make a decision, but the money issue definately has me leaning towards staying at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home